October 6 Part 1 - Coyote Point Recreation Area, San Mateo County CA

I was up early to have a quick breakfast and check out of the Hotel in San Francisco. I had arranged for a town car to take me to the Airport where I'd rent a car. So much more civilized and safe compared to the cab we'd taken into town.

I had some experience from previous visits and a tremendous resource with this website:
San Mateo County Birding Guide

I came to the conclusion that Coyote Point was the best choice for my morning, it had three different habitats and was in a safe area close to the airport. It also had a marina and a golf course, which allowed me to have a quick brunch.

The official name is Coyote Point Recreation Area, I'll just use Coyote Point for brevity.



The nearest habitat to where I'd parked was the freshwater marsh.

The very first bird I saw was a White-crowned Sparrow. I saw them most places I visited on the trip.


White-crowned Sparrow - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA

Next I spotted a Black Phoebe, maybe my favourite California bird. Unlike our flycatchers, this bird is common and always on display.

Black Phoebe - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA
2017 Bird #202

There were some goldfinches in the treetops and I hoped they might be Lesser's, but the photo post-mortem proved them to be American.

American Goldfinch - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA

I was on a path that had a salt-water marsh on the left and a fresh-water one on the right. I heard and then saw a bird that liked both environments:


Belted Kingfisher (F) - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA

Next were a group of Black-necked Stilts in the salt water. They are more plain looking in Basic plumage compared to when I saw them nesting in Alberta in June.


Black-necked Stilt - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA

I was expecting to see Egrets and was not disappointed. I see the Snowy Egret frequently in the San Mateo area.


Snowy Egret - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA - 2017 Bird #203

I made my way through the marina over to a short jetty. There wasn't a lot of activity in the water, but overhead the Pelicans were active.


Brown Pelican - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA

I took a short video of them in flight.



And a close-up of a single one coming in for a landing.


Brown Pelican - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA

I headed for the forest environment. It was pretty quiet and dark, which made photography difficult. I saw a few Juncos and the bird below. When I took the photo I thought it might be a Brown Creeper. After seeing the photo at home, I realized it was a Pygmy Nuthatch. I normally see this bird in the Okanagan, but missed out on it this year.

Pygmy Nuthatch- Coyote Point, San Mateo CA
2017 Bird #204

I returned to the marshes before leaving and saw the other Egret I was hoping for: the Great Egret. It's all white like the Snowy but much larger with a longer neck. 

Great Egret- Coyote Point, San Mateo CA - 2017 Bird #205

One last shot of a Snowy Egret and it was time to make my next stop, which is detailed in the next post.

Snowy Egret - Coyote Point, San Mateo CA


No comments:

Post a Comment