October 7 Part 2 - Redwood Shores

It took quite a while to get back from Pescadero, so I only had time for two more stops.  I decided to first visit Redwood Shores, an upscale waterfront community that is also home to a number of technology companies, including Oracle and Electronic Arts.

I had some good luck around the Oracle headquarters in 2015, but first went to see if the Radio Road Sewage ponds had been restored. I'd visited there in 2013 but the ponds were drained in 2014 due to avian infections. This year, they were still dry.

I did see one bird in a canal where I'd parked, a good shot of a Cormorant.

Double-crested Cormorant - Redwood Shores, CA

I then drove over to Oracle headquarters and parked in a small park just across the street. Here's a shot of the Oracle Campus.



I'd taken a great shot of a Black Phoebe in the park in 2015 and took this one in pretty much the same location. It could even be the same bird as two years ago.The phoebes sit in a high perch and sally out when they spot prey. This one came back with an unsuspecting dragonfly.

Black Phoebe - Redwood Shores, CA

The Belmont Slough is just behind the Oracle campus and there's usually some shorebirds in there. I did see a few species but this Egret was the only one that photographed well.

Snowy Egret - Redwood Shores, CA

I circled the Oracle campus as a Turkey Vulture flew over.

Turkey Vulture - Redwood Shores, CA

Oracle is still celebrating winning the America's Cup yacht race back in 2013. Their winning craft is displayed in the large pond at the front of the campus.


The pond is home to a few water birds such as this Pied-billed grebe.

Pied-billed Grebe - Redwood Shores, CA

And another cormorant:

Double-crested Cormorant - Redwood Shores, CA

The last notable birds of the day were a pair Eurasian Collared-Doves.

Eurasian Collared-dove - Redwood Shores, CA

I visited one other location that was devoid of birds, and then headed back to my hotel for dinner and sleep. I'd be flying home the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment