June 30 - Frank Lake

An Alberta vacation would not be complete without a visit to Frank Lake, just east of High River. There are certain species that I can count on to be there, and there's usually some surprises as well.

I dropped Edith off at Spruce Meadows for her annual Equestrian experience and continued on to Frank Lake. My first stop was by a sewage outfall on the way in. 

Savannah Sparrows are very common in the grasslands around the lake.

Savannah Sparrow - Frank Lake, High River AB

On my walk in to the sewage outfall, I was greeted by a Black-necked Stilt trying to scare me off. This bird is very aggressive when its nesting area is threatened.

Black-necked Stilt - Frank Lake, High River AB - 2017 Bird # 179

I took a brief movie of it after it had calmed down a bit.


This shot shows how this shorebird gets its name.

Black-necked Stilt - Frank Lake, High River AB

Also seen in the area was a Forster's Tern. I usually see this bird up close on the main lake, but this was the only appearance this year. The Orange bill with the black tip is the best diagnostic mark for this species.

Forster's Tern - Frank Lake, High River AB - 2017 Bird #180.

Off in this arm of the lake I could see the distinctive long neck of a western grebe. This shot was taken at a long distance with the Canon, but cropping reveals two passengers on board the parent.

Western Grebe - Frank Lake, High River AB - 2017 Bird # 181

I took a movie with my IPhone through the spotting scope, not sure if it turns out here.


I took a couple of more photos of the parent and the chicks. The latter is an IPhone shot through my spotting scope.

Western Grebe - Frank Lake, High River AB

Western Grebes (Imm) - Frank Lake, High River AB

I was inside the main blind now, where Ruddy Ducks and Eared Grebes are normally very close. The ducks were there, but the Grebes were far out on the lake.

Here's a female Ruddy Duck first, followed by a male.

Ruddy Duck (F) - Frank Lake, High River AB

Ruddy Duck (F) - Frank Lake, High River AB

As usual, there were some American Coot parents and babies around the blind.

American Coot - Frank Lake, High River AB

Frank Lake is one of the most reliable places in Canada to see White-faced Ibis. Some years there are good numbers of them, on this day there were only a couple visible as they flew over. The photos were not too good at this distance.

White-faced Ibis  - Frank Lake, High River AB - 2017 Bird #182

This shot shows a little more detail.

White-faced Ibis  - Frank Lake, High River AB

I only saw one, but it was the first Franklin's Gull I'd seen at Frank Lake in a few years. As noted in previous posts, I'd seen quite a few in Alberta on this trip.

Franklin's Gull - Frank Lake, High River AB

Yet another expected bird here is the Wilson's Phalarope. I was walking a trail that takes you to the lake's edge when this one started flying over my head. There must have been a nest nearby as it kept harassing me as I went. I tired had to be inconspicuous and watched carefully for any ground based nest.

Wilson's Phalarope - Frank Lake, High River AB - 2017 Bird #183

When I reached the lakeshore I was in for a surprise. There was a Heron skulking in the reeds ahead of me. At first I thought it was a Great Blue, but soon realized it was a Black-crowned Night Heron.  

This is not a new species, I see them every winter at Reifel Bird Sanctuary, but they are always hidden in the trees and sleeping (they are nocturnal). But this one was wide awake and looking for prey.

Black-crowned Night Heron - Frank Lake, High River AB

It took off, this was the first time I'd ever seen one in flight. I landed just out of sight and caused a big fuss with the Ducks and Grebes in the water, no doubt looking for a quick meal.

Black-crowned Night Heron - Frank Lake, High River AB

I did spot an Eared Grebe, quite far out on the lake.

Eared Grebe - Frank Lake, High River AB

Finally, there were a number of Pelicans out in the lake. These birds look so massive compared to the others around them.

American White Pelican - Frank Lake, High River AB

American White Pelican - Frank Lake, High River AB

This was my last sighting for this visit, it was time to head back north and pick up Edith at Spruce Meadows.


No comments:

Post a Comment