Saturday, June 3 Part 2 - Cawston, Okanagan Falls, and Oliver

I got back to the winery from Osoyoos in time to have my free breakfast. It was so big I was able to save part of it for lunch on the road. I used my Birdfinding in BC book to find a couple of places nearby that looked interesting.

The first stop on the Similkameen River was very quiet, the second one was well worth the visit. There is a marshy area in Cawston near the river named Ginty's Pond. This area was formed by an Oxbow in the river. The pond is hard to see with all the marsh grass.


Ginty's Pond - Cawston BC

There were a few Tree Swallows nesting in the area.


Tree Swallow - Ginty's Pond - Cawston BC

There was a turtle enjoying the sunshine in the marsh.


Western Painted Turtle - Ginty's Pond - Cawston BC

The most common bird in the Marsh was the Red-winged Blackbird.

Red-winged Blackbird - Ginty's Pond - Cawston BC

I left Cawston and took Highway 3A towards Okanagan Falls. I'd decided to take the Subaru up the logging road that we normally visit on our April tour (not this year due to snow).

On my way through OK Falls, I saw a large bird on a barb wire fence. I'd seen a Western Kingbird earlier in the day, but the light was better here and this one stuck around for awhile.

Western Kingbird - Okanagan Falls, BC


Western Kingbird - Okanagan Falls, BC

My trip up the logging road was fun but pretty much bird free. It was either too late in the season, or too late in the day.

I did hear and very briefly see a Warbling Vireo up around Kilometer 23, but did not get a photo.
This was 2017 Bird # 163.



This Warbling Vireo photo was taken at Maplewood Conservation Area in North Vancouver in 2014.

After coming back down to OK Falls, I turned south and visited the McIntyre Bluffs that overlook Vaseux Lake. This area was also very quiet, but I did get a shot of a sinister looking Magpie.


Black-billed Magpie - McIntyre Bluffs, Oliver BC

This Brewer's Blackbird was on alert and ready to take off if necessary.


Brewer's Blackbird  - McIntyre Bluffs, Oliver BC

Just as I was about to drive back down to the Highway, I spotted some Bighorn Sheep on a bluff with Vaseux Lake in the background. The one on the left has some kind of collar on, probably for ID.


Bighorn Sheep  - McIntyre Bluffs, Oliver BC

I took a quick drive on Horsetail Rd in Oliver. It was quiet except for this noisy catbird.

Gray Catbird - Horsetail Road, Oliver BC

My last stop was Road 22. I didn't have time to drive on the Osoyoos River dike, so I just stopped at the Nature area. There's a small shelter there and it normally has a Barn Swallows nest in the rafters. Today there was one visible occupant waiting for its next feeding. I assume this is a chick, but it could be a brooding adult.

Barn Swallow - Road 22, Oliver BC

Nearby on the telephone wires were a couple more swallows. I zoomed in on this one.

 Barn Swallow - Road 22, Oliver BC

This was my last stop of the day, I returned to the Winery in Cawston for supper and a good night's sleep. On Sunday, I'd be heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment