Saturday, June 3 Morning - Nighthawk Border Crossing and Haynes Point Provincial Park

I made a point of getting up early and leaving before breakfast was served at the Winery. The first photo was taken at 6:58 AM. It was a Collared Dove near Highway 3. These birds are very common in this area, which is largely agricultural. Amazingly, this was my first of this species for the year, even though they are common in Delta.


Collared Dove - Cawston BC - 2017 Bird # 160

On my way towards Osoyoos, I took the southern fork towards the Nighthawk USA Border Crossing. I was hoping to see a Lark Sparrow or a Sage Thrasher, but settled for the first Western Kingbird of the year.


Western Kingbird - Nighthawk Border Road, near Osoyoos BC - 2017 Bird # 161

I arrived at Haynes Point Provincial Park on Osoyoos Lake, only to realize that the gates didn't open until 7:30 AM. I backtracked to Tim Horton's for a coffee and small breakfast, then returned to the park.

My second disappointment of the day was to discover that the trail that I normally take was flooded and inaccessible. I made the best of it and started looking for birds off the main road. I heard the familiar sound of a Yellow Warbler singing and was able to get a  decent photo of it.


Yellow Warbler - Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC - 2017 Bird # 162

I took some time to admire the scenery of Osoyoos Lake from this spit of land.



I heard some singing mixed with different calls and located the source, a Gray Catbird.

Gray Catbird - Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC


I also took a movie of the Catbird


Also in the area was a calling Western Wood-pewee. 

Western Wood-pewee - Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC

Another flycatcher was present, an Eastern Kingbird. It is quite common in the Okanagan, but always a challenge to photograph.


Eastern Kingbird - Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC

Nearby there was a great deal of squawking going on with occasional flashes of orange. I found the sources, it wa a few male Bullock's Orioles fighting over territory or females. Eventually, I was able to get a few shots of the males as they carried on.


Bullock's Oriole - Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC


Bullock's Oriole- Haynes Point Provincial Park, Osoyoos BC

At this point in the morning, I returned back to the Crowsnest Winery and enjoyed my complimentary breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment